500 days of Summer
Author’s note: The following is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.
2. This is a story of boy meets girl. The boy, Tom Hansen of Margate, New Jersey, grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy... until the day he met "the one." This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music... and a total misreading of the movie The Graduate.
这是一个男孩遇见女孩的故事男主角汤姆·汉森 来自新泽西州的马盖特，打小就认定他不会真正的幸福... 直到遇见他的心上人。这个想法来自于早期接触的悲伤英国流行音乐和对整部 毕业生 的误读
The girl, Summer Finn of Shinnecock, Michigan,did not share this belief. Since the disintegration of her parents marriage, she'd only loved two things. The first was her long dark hair, and feel nothing.
女主角莎莫·芬恩 来自密歇根州的辛尼克却不这么想。自从她父母的婚姻破裂之后，她只爱两样东西：第一是她乌黑的长发，而第二是 她可以轻易的把它剪掉，却毫不在意
Tom meets Summer on January 8. He knows almost immediately she's who he's been searching for. This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story.
Tom 在一月八号那天遇见了 Summer，他在那一刻突然明白了 Summer 就是他要找的那个人。这是个男孩遇见女孩的故事，但我要先告诉你，这不是个爱情故事。
There's plenty of other fish in the sea. 海里有很多鱼
5. Maybe playing it safe is the wrong approach. 或许中庸不是正确的经商之道
6. The nuclear family is dead' 核心家庭过时了
7. I'd say we've got some potential here. What do you think, Hansen?
我觉得很有市场 汉森 你怎么看
There's only two kinds of people in the world. There's women, and there's men. Summer Finn was a woman. Height, average. Weight, average. Shoe size, slightly above average. For all intents and purposes, Summer Finn, just another girl. Except she wasn't. To wit, in 1998, Summer quoted a song by the Scottish band Belle and Sebastian... in her high school yearbook. "Color my life with the chaos of trouble." This spike in Michigan sales of their album... The Boy with the Arab Strap... continues to puzzle industry analysts. Summer's employment at the Daily Freeze during her sophomore year... coincided with an inexplicable 212% increase in revenue. Every apartment Summer rented... was offered at an average rate of 9.2% below market value. And her round-trip commute to work... averaged 18.4 double takes per day. It was a rare quality, this "Summer effect." Rare, and yet something every post adolescent male has encountered... at least once in their lives.
世界上只有两种人：女人和男人。Summer 是个女人：身高，平均数；体重，平均数；鞋码，比平均数略小。从所有的这些看，Summer 只是普通的女孩。可事实并不是这样。比如，在1998年，Summer 在她的高中毕业纪念册上，引用了苏格兰贝儿与塞巴斯乐团的一首歌：" 生命因坎坷而精彩 "让他们的唱片 " 系着阿拉伯皮带的男孩 " 在密歇根大卖，一直困扰着产业分析家。Summer 大二的时候在冰淇淋店打工，这家店的收益也莫名其妙的增加了 212% 。每次 Summer 租房，价格都比市场均价低 9.2%。她上下班的路上，平均每天让人回头 18.4 次。这是很稀有的现象 " Summer 效应 "。稀有，却是所有青春期的雄性动物遇到过的一生中至少一次
For Tom Hansen to find it now in a city of 400,000 offices, 91,000 commercial buildings and 3.8 million people- well, that could only be explained by one thing: Fate.
对于 Tom 在这城市里 400,000 个办公室91,000栋商业大厦，3,800,000人里遇到她，唯一的解释就是：命运
Copy room 复印室
Super skank（臭鼬） 超级贱人
E.g.： And maybe she’s an uppity, “better than everyone” superskank.
That sucks. Why is it pretty girls... think they can treat people like crap and get away with it? 真混蛋 为什么漂亮的女孩认为她们能把人们当成垃圾而且还做到了？
Centuries of reinforcement. 这么多年惯出来的呗。
13. If she wants to be that way, fine. 她想那样，随便她
14. What brought you? 你怎么会搬来这里？
Boredom mostly. Wanted to try something new and exciting.
15. have you worked here long? 你在公司做很久了吗？
write greeting cards 写贺卡
17. It's a big seller. 很畅销
I meant as an architect. 我是说建筑方面
18. a perfectly adequate greeting card writer 写贺卡的高手
19. I was very neat and organized. 我爱整洁爱干净、
20. I don't know, man. I think it's official. I'm in love with Summer. I love her smile.I love her hair. I love her knees. I love this heart-shaped birthmark she has on her neck. I love the way she sometimes licks her lips before she talks. I love the sound of her laugh. I love the way she looks when she's sleeping. I love how I hear this song every every time I think of her. I love how she makes me feel. Like- Like anything's possible, or like- I don't know. Like- Like life is worth it.
We're so compatible, it's insane. 我们很合拍。这真是太疯狂了。
She’s not like I thought at all. 她跟我想的完全不一样。
Just 'cause some cute girl likes the same bizarro crap you do, that doesn't make her your soul mate, Tom.
It's off. （我和夏沫结束了）
Was it ever on? 你们有好过吗？
No, but it could have been, in a world where good things happen to me
So there we are. Nine more floors to ride, just me and her.
There's really nothing I can do about that. 我无能为力了
supply room 库房
People don't realize this, but loneliness- It's underrated.
That's me. Okay. I'm new, so no making fun of me.
30. You don't believe that a woman could enjoy being free and independent?
31. I just don't feel comfortable being anyone's girlfriend. I don't actually feel comfortable being anyone's anything, you know.
32. I like being on my own. Relationships are messy, and people's feelings get hurt. Who needs it? We're young. We live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Might as well have fun while we can and... save the serious stuff for later.
我喜欢做我自己，关系太复杂 人们觉得受伤，谁希望这样 我们还年轻，我们住在这世上最漂亮的城市，为什么不开心点？把那些严肃的问题先扔一边
33. Well, what does that word even mean? I've been in relationships, and I don't think I've ever seen it. And most marriages end in divorce these days. Like my parents.
34. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. 我认为这个花心的女人太武断了
35. There's no such thing as love. It's a fantasy. 没爱情这回事 那是童话
Well, I think you're wrong. 我认为不对
what is it that I'm missing then? 我错在哪里
I think you know it when you feel it. 当你感觉到爱的时候你就明白了
I guess we can just agree to disagree. 求同存异吧
Well, I'm that way, so- 那么 我走这边
The TV's not working. 电视坏了
The sink's broken. 水池坏了
38. Well, I'm famished. 好吧 我饿死了
39. that's why we bought a home with two kitchens. 就是为什么我们有两个厨房
40. Darling, I don't know how to tell you this,... 亲爱的，我怎么跟你说
41. 'Cause some people kind of freak out when they hear that.
She wants to keep it casual, 她想保持暧昧
43. So, did you get her back yet or what? 你让她回心转意了还是其他什么
44. Well, you know, Henry Miller said the best way to get over a woman... is to turn her into literature.
Your girl is losing it. 你的妞疯了
46. For Tom Hansen, this was the night where everything changed. That wall Summer so often hid behind- the wall of distance, of space, of casual- that wall was slowly coming down. For here was Tom, in her world, a place few had been invited to see with their own eyes. And here was Summer, wanting him there. Him, no one else.
对于 Tom Hansen 来说，这是感情升华的一晚。隔在两人之间的那堵心墙，那堵代表距离，空间以及暧昧的，那堵墙正在慢慢倒塌。Tom在她的世界里，在她棕色眼睛后面罕为人知的秘密空间。正是她把他邀请进来，是他，不是别人
You know, I dream sometimes about flying. It starts out like I'm running really, really fast. I'm, like, superhuman. And the terrain starts to get really rocky and steep. And then I'm running so fast that my feet aren't even touching the ground. And I'm floating, and it's like this amazing, amazing realness. I'm free. I'm safe. Then I realize, I'm completely alone. And then I wake up.
我曾经做过一个梦，我在飞。开始的时候我只是跑。那么快，就像超人。渐渐地面变成了陡峭的岩石。我跑的太快了离开了地面。我飞起来了 很奇妙 奇妙且真实。感觉很自由 很安全。然后我明白了，我是一个人。然后就醒了
48. As he listened, Tom began to realize... that these weren't stories routinely told. These were stories one had to earn. He could feel the wall coming down. He wondered if anyone else had made it this far. Which is why the next six words changed everything.
他听着 Tom 开始发觉，这并不是随便讲给人听的故事。而是有资格的人才能听的。他感觉到那堵墙正在消失。他很好奇有没有其他人也曾到这里。而后面的话 改变了一切
49. I don't think the two of you are exactly authorities on modern relationships.
50. Well, why rock the boat, is what I'm thinking. 我在想 干吗要自找麻烦
51. So, what you're saying？ 那么 你的意思是
I'm saying you do want to ask her. It's obvious. You're just afraid you'll get an answer you don't want, which will shatter all the illusions of how great these past few months have been.
You're not too observant. 你不是很善于观察
I'm flattered, but I'm not interested. 我感到很荣幸，但不感兴趣
54. It was really just a crazy thing. It happened like- It felt like it happened fast, but really, it- it also felt like it was happening really slowly, like everything all was just- I don't know. It doesn't feel like you think it would-
这真疯狂，它.. 发生的太快了 但是..感觉好像很慢，身边的一切都...很难表达 就像... 你理解不了
I'm not going anywhere till you tell me what's going on.
56. We're just friends. 我们只是朋友
No! Don't pull that with me! Don't even try to. 别拿这个当借口，想都别想
57. well, you're not the only one that gets a say in this! I do too! And I say we're a couple, goddamn it!
你不是唯一有发言权的。我也有 我说 我们是一对 操蛋
58. For a brief time in college 大学里有一阵子
59. What always happens. Life. 世事难料 人生就是这样
60. we rarely left the room. 我们很少出门
61. In a way, it sort of, like, says... so much... By... saying so little.
某种程度上 有点像,表达.. 很多东西..通过.. 什么都没说
62. Mr. Vance would like to see you in his office. 万斯先生要你去他办公室见他
63. Have a seat. 坐吧
64. Has something happened to you recently? 你最近怎么了
65. A death in the family, someone taken ill- Anything like that.
家里某个人死了 还是生病了 之类的
66. The reason I'm asking is, lately your work performance... has been... a little off.
67. I'm not following. 我没懂你的意思
68. You're one of the good ones. 你是我见过的最好的一个
69. Things have been a little difficult. 最近发生了些事情、
That's okay. I completely understand that. I'm just saying that perhaps you could channel those energies, um, into something like this.
70. loss of faith 失去信心
71. no reason to live 活不下去
72. This is perfect for you. 这很适合你
73. Don't you have, like, 20 cards to write by Friday?
Nope. All done. 全写完了
Really? Can you help me? 'Cause I've run out of ways to say "congrats."
真的假的 能帮帮我吗 我已经用尽那些 " 恭喜 " 了
74. We've been stuck on this for an hour. 我们卡在这个问题上一个小时了
75. I hate Summer. I hate her crooked teeth. I hate her 1960s haircut. I hate her knobby knees. And I hate her cockroach-shaped splotch on her neck. I hate the way she smacks her lips before she talks. And I hate the way she sounds when she laughs. I hate this song!
76. Son, you're gonna have to exit the vehicle. 孩子 你还是下车吧
77. I normally don't do blind dates, but Paul and Robyn spoke very highly of you. 我通常不会相亲，但保罗和罗宾对你赞不绝口
78. I actually majored in English in college, but what are you gonna do with that degree? 我大学是学英语的，但你出来又能干嘛
79. Listen, it's great to meet you, and... you're a very attractive girl. I just wanted to say up front that this isn't- It's not gonna go anywhere.
能认识你很高兴恩.. 你是个很有魅力的女孩。我只是想事先说明 这不是...这样不会有什么结果
80. You know, on the one hand, I want to forget her. On the other hand, I know that she's the only person in the entire universe that will make me happy. You ever do this? You think back on the times you had with someone, replay it in your head over and over again, and you look for those first signs of trouble. There's two options really. Either... she's an evil, emotionless, miserable human being, or... she's a robot. Small Wonder. You know, Vicki. That would explain a lot actually.
一方面 我想忘了她，但另一方面，我知道她是整个宇宙 唯一能让我快乐的人。你曾经有过这样的经历吗？不断回忆你们在一起的时光 一次又一次，找你们第一次出现问题
81. Waste of time. You don't look anything like Summer.
浪费时间 你跟 Summer 差太远了
82. Maybe you'll meet some hot granddaughters or something.
83. I must have walked right by you. 我刚才没注意到你
84. I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.
85. And your feet reek. 你脚还臭
That one time especially, but every time. And when you wake up, your hair, it sticks up like that. 每天都是 那一次格外臭.你起床的时候 头发都竖起来了
I guess I just got lucky. Um, we met in elementary school. In seventh grade we had the same class schedule, and, uh, we just clicked, you know
87. Love? Shit, I don't know. As long as she's cute and she's willing, right? I'm flexible on the cute, so-
爱情 该死 我可不太懂 只要她愿意 又可爱 对吧 其实可不可爱也无所谓
88. Twenty-one years. She's the light that guides me home. Yes, that is from one of our cards. No. Someone else wrote it. Doesn't make it less true.
二十一年了 她是指引我回家的明灯 好吧 没错 是我引用贺卡上的话 不 别人写的 但说的很对
89. I think technically the "girl of my dreams"... would probably have, like, a really bodacious rack, you know. Maybe different hair. Probably- You know, she'd probably be a little more into sports. But, um, truthfully, Robyn's- Robyn's better than the girl of my dreams. She's real.
我认为纯粹的 " 梦中女孩 " 要有.. 呃... 火辣的身材 与众不同的发型 喜欢运动 的更好点 但事实是 罗宾比我的梦中女孩还要好 她真实
90. Tom walked to her apartment, intoxicated by the promise of the evening. He believed that this time... his expectations would align with reality.
Tom 走去了她的公寓 沉醉在那晚的约定中 他相信这次 期待会与现实并行
91. So, Tom, what is it that you do? Tom 你做什么工作的 -
Uh, I write greeting cards. 我为贺卡撰写贺词
Tom could be a really great architect if he wanted to be. 如果 Tom 愿意 他会是个很棒的建筑师
That's unusual. I mean, what made you go from one to the other?
真奇怪 我是说 你怎么会放弃当建筑师
I guess I just figured, why make something disposable, like a building, when you can make something that lasts forever, like a greeting card?
我想 与其做那些一次性的东西 比如建筑 不如做些永恒的东西 比如贺卡
92. We have a whole line of inspirational photographic cards...
93. The Winter Collection? Do you have anything to contribute?
no disrespect here 我只是就事论事
95. These are lies. We were liars. Think about it. Why do people buy these things? It's not 'cause they want to say how they feel. People buy cards 'cause they can't say how they feel, or they're afraid to. We provide the service that lets them off the hook. You know what? I say, to hell with it! Let's level with America. At least let them speak for themselves! Right? I mean, look! What- what is this? What does it say? “ Congratulations on your new baby” right? How 'bout, "Congratulations on your new baby. That's it for hanging out. Nice knowing you." How 'bout this one, with all the pretty hearts on the front? I know where this is going. Yep! "Happy Valentine's Day, sweetheart. I love you." That sweet? Ain't love grand? This is exactly what I'm talking about. What does that even mean, "love"? Do you know? Do you? Anybody? If somebody gave me this card, Mr. Vance, I would eat it.It's- It's these cards, and the movies, and the pop songs- They're to blame for all the lies... and the heartache, everything. And we're responsible. I'm responsible. I think we do a bad thing here. People should be able to say how they feel- how they really feel- not, you know, some words that some strangers put in their mouths. Words like "love"... that don't mean anything. Sorry. I'm sorry. I, uh- I quit. I'm- There's enough bullshit in the world without my help.
都是瞎话，我们都是骗子。想想为什么人们买这些 不是因为他们想说这些 人们买贺卡 是因为他们不能或不敢说出他们想说的 我们提供服务 好让他们摆脱这些 知道吗 这真扯蛋 让我们对美国人说实话吧 起码让他们说出自己心里话 看看 这些都是什么 写的什么 " 恭喜你喜得贵子 " 是吗 为什么不是 " 恭喜你鬼混出来的儿子出生 这个呢 这个有爱心封面的 我知道里面是什么 " 情人节快乐 甜心 我爱你 " 真甜蜜 爱情多伟大这就是我想说的 它到底是什么 爱情 你知道吗 你 谁知道 如果谁给我这样的卡片 万斯先生 我就吃了它 就是这些卡片 电影 流行歌曲 它们该对所有的谎言负责 心痛 和所有的一切 我们有责任 我也有责任 我认为我们在做错事 人们说出他们的感受 他们真实的感受 而不是让那些陌生人帮他们说 就像 " 爱 " 那没任何价值 对不起 抱歉 我辞职 这世界已经够扯蛋了 不需要我了
96. Look, I know you think that she was the one, but I don't. Now, I think you're just remembering the good stuff. Next time you look back, I, uh- I really think you should look again.
我知道你你认为 她就是你的命中注定 但我不觉得 你只记得那些好的那一面 下次 当你回首往事的时候.. 我真觉得你该好好想想了
96. It's playing at 5:00. Do you wanna see it? - 5点开始 - 你想去看吗
97. I think I'm just gonna call it a day. 我想我该走了
98. I thought I might see you here. I always loved this place, ever since you brought me. 我想也许能在这见到你 你带我来过后 我就爱上这里了
I guess I should say congratulations. 我是不是该说 恭喜了
Only if you mean it. 除非你真心诚意
Ah. Well, in that case- 好吧 既然这样..
99. So, are you okay? 最近怎么样
I will be, eventually. 总会好起来的
You wanna- Hmm. 你 ..
I like your suit. 这件衣服真不错
Ah, thanks. 谢谢
You look sharp. 看起来很精神
So do you. 你也是
I quit the office. 我辞职了
You did? I didn't know. That's great! 真的吗 我都不知道 真棒
And you, um- you're married. 你..你结婚了
Yeah. It's crazy, huh? 很难以置信 对吧
You should have told me when we were at the 你应该早点告诉我
I know. 我知道
You know, at the wedding when we were dancing. 在婚礼上 我们跳舞的时候
Well, he hadn't asked me yet. 当时他还没有向我求婚
But he was in your life. 但是他已经走进了你的生活
So why'd you dance with me? 那你为什么还要跟我跳舞
'Cause I wanted to. 因为我想
You just do what you want, don't you? You never wanted to be anybody's girlfriend, and now you're somebody's wife.
Surprised me too. 我也没想到
I don't think I'll ever understand that. I mean, it doesn't make sense.
It just happened. 可事实就是这样
Right, but that's what I don't understand. What just happened?
对 可这就是我理解不了的 怎么就这样了
I just- I just woke up one day, and I knew. 我只是一觉醒来 然后就明白了
Knew what? 明白什么
What I was never sure of with you. 那些和你在一起 一直不能确定的
You know what sucks? Realizing that everything you believe in is complete and utter bullshit. It sucks.
What do you mean? 什么意思
Uh, you know, destiny, and soul mates, and true love, and all that childhood fairy tale nonsense. You were right. L-I should have listened to you.
就是 命运 精神伴侣 真爱 那些童话 什么的 你是对的 我应该听你的
Yeah. What? What are you smiling at? 什么 你笑什么
What? What are you looking at me like that for? 嗯？ 你这样看着我干嘛
Well, you know, I guess it's 'cause... I was sitting in a deli and reading Dorian Gray, and... a guy comes up to me... and asked me about it, and... now he's my husband.
好吧，我想是因为我在店里看 道林·格雷 然后一个人走过来 问我那本书怎么样 现在 他是我的丈夫
Yeah. And... so? 然后呢
So, what if I'd gone to the movies? What if I had gone somewhere else for lunch? What if I'd gotten there 10 minutes later? It was- It was meant to be. And I just kept thinking, Tom was right.如果我去看看电影了呢 或者我去吃午饭 要么晚去了那10分钟呢 那好像.. 那好像是注定好的 然后我就不停的想 Tom是对的
Yeah, I did. I did. It just wasn't me that you were right about. I should go. But I'm really happy to see that you're doing well.
真的 真的 只是你的那个人不是我 我该走了 看到你过的不错 我真的很高兴
Summer! I really do hope that you're happy. 我真心祝你幸福
100. Most days of the year are unremarkable. They begin and they end... with no lasting memories made in between. Most days have no impact... on the course of a life. May 23 was a Wednesday.
一年中大多数日子是很平凡的 开始 结束 没有留下任何回忆 大多数对生活没什么影响5月23日 一个星期三
101. interviewing for the position 面试这个职位
102. Yes. That's, like, my favorite spot in the city. 当然 那是我最喜欢的地方
103. You must not have been looking. 你一定是在看其他什么
104. If Tom had learned anything, it was that you can't ascribe great cosmic significance... to a simple earthly event. Coincidence. That's all anything ever is. Nothing more than coincidence.
如果说Tom学到了什么 那就是你不能把那些意义归结于 简单的小事 巧合，就是一切。没有比巧合更能说明问题的了。
105. Tom had finally learned there are no miracles. There's no such thing as fate. Nothing is meant to be. He knew. He was sure of it now. Tom was- He was pretty sure.
106. Yeah. I, uh, was just wondering... if maybe after this, if, um, you- you want to get some coffee or something.
我只是觉得... 也许在面试过后... 你.. 是否可以一起去喝咖啡什么的
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sort of supposed to meet someone after this.
What's that? 什么
Why not? 没问题
Okay. Well, then I'll just, uh- I'll wait for you- 好 那我过会... 我等你
we- We'll figure it out. 我们再商量吧
We'll figure it out. 我们再商量
My name's Tom. 我是 Tom
Nice to meet you. I'm Autumn. 很高兴认识你 我是 Autumn